Aluminum oxide matrix consisting of approximately 80% alumina, 17% zirconia and 3% strontium oxide.
Zirconia was added to increase the material strength and prevent the initiation and propagation of cracks.
An additional toughening mechanism is created with the addition of strontium oxide, which forms a platelet type crystal to dissipate energy by deflecting cracks.
The need for a low-wear ceramic bearing in revision arthroplasty was not available in the past. The OPTION is comprised of two components:
- BIOLOX®delta ceramic femoral head
- Adapter sleeve
The titanium adapters have an internal 12/14 taper that mates with the femoral stem while the OPTION heads have a taper designed to mate with the adapters.
BIOLOX® is a registered trademark of CeramTec.
- McKellop H, Shen FW, Lu B, Campbell P, Salovey R. Development of an extremely wear-resistant ultra high molecular weight polyethylene for total hip replacements. J Orthop Res.1999;17(2):157-67.
- Greer KW, King RS, Chan FW. The effects of raw material, irradiation dose, and irradiation source on crosslinking on UHMWPE. Crosslinked and Thermally Treated Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene for Joint Replacements. ASTM STP 1445. 2002;209-220.
- TS-2007-028. Summary of testing for AcuMatch A-Series Acetabular Liners incorporating Connexion GXL Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE). Data on file at Exactech.
- TS-2005-025. Comparison of the wear of current, research and traditional polyethylene cup. Data on file at Exactech.